Home | About | Account | Forums | Games
Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Forum Status: Locked
Total posts in this thread: 6
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 5999 times and has 5 replies Next Thread
kryptkpr
Stranger

Watch out Chess, here comes Grail!

Hi Guys,

Some years ago, a now-defunct company I used to work for was contracted to create an online implementation of a new board game. That project fell apart, but after stumbling across GameGardens, I suddenly remembered it.

I contacted the original game designer to see if he was still interested, and he was! After weeks of learning Java and pouring over the great Wiki and examples provided on this website, I have just uploaded the first early prototype of Grail. It's a unique turn-based strategy game, akin to a multi-player chess.

Grail info page

I re-iterate that this is an early beta. It's not possible to win or lose yet (no check/checkmate code is implemented) and not all of the features or game modes are in (only 1-4 players for now, but the rules I'm working from do allow for a 5-player game).

I will be updating the game page with new versions and a more detailed description of the rules in the coming days..
[Jul 18, 2008 7:34:13 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
kryptkpr
Stranger

Re: Watch out Chess, here comes Grail!

I can't seem to be able to edit my post so .. I've uploaded a new version of the game, and updated the Info page with much more detailed instructions.
[Jul 19, 2008 7:11:18 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
mdb
Advanced Member

Cool. I tried it out (in a game against myself, no big surprises). I suggest that you highlight the possible moves at any point by drawing semi-transparent rectangles over the squares that are legal moves once you click a piece. It might also be nice to automatically submit your move if you have moved a piece in such a way that it has no more moves (ie. you moved a piece that only ever has one move, or you moved a piece like the Knight or Pikeman for the second time).

You could also get fancy and show a little semi-transparent symbol over squares that allow additional moves versus those that don't (for the Dragon and Grail).

These would probably help people to learn the game since the piece movement is not immediately intuitive.
[Jul 20, 2008 6:13:35 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.samskivert.com/ [Link]  Go to top 
kryptkpr
Stranger

Glad you enjoyed it :)

I've just updated the page, and uploaded beta 1.5. The two major changes are that now it's possible to win via Check and Checkmate of the grail (details on the page) and I've partially incorporated the valid move highlight idea that mdb proposed. Your next valid step squares will highlight (but not the entire valid move, yet.. that additional functionality is planned for beta2)
[Aug 1, 2008 6:21:23 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
kryptkpr
Stranger

I am proud to announce that as of August 3rd, the game is now feature-complete! I might still do some bug fixes and minor enhancements (like sound effects), but as it stands the game is quite playable with 2-5 of your friends.

I'm now starting work on a website to go with it..
[Aug 3, 2008 7:34:44 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
helfan
Stranger

thanks for this information about your game. but chess is me favorite game then ever i never lose it in any version.
[Aug 26, 2009 10:48:53 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread]

Home | About | Account | Forums | Games           ©2005 Three Rings Design, Inc